Fraud protection at Capital One
Fraud happens. And at Capital One®, we take it seriously. We have a number of security systems in place to actively monitor our customers’ accounts for any suspicious activity – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If suspicious activity or fraud is detected, we move quickly to get it resolved.
If you have a Capital One Mastercard®, you’re protected. We provide Zero Liability for unauthorized use of your account. See our Safe & Secure Online Guarantee for more details.
Fraud can occur when your credit card information or identity have been used without your permission or knowledge. It’s often anonymous, frequently takes place via online channels and impacts people of all ages, from all walks of life. If you do become a victim of fraud, you shouldn’t feel like it’s your fault or that you’ve done something wrong – but rest assured, there’s plenty you can do to prevent it from happening again.
Here’s some easy ways to help protect yourself from fraud:
- Keep your credit card number private, don’t read it out loud in a public place and don’t share or lend your card to anyone.
- Your PIN needs to be kept private – only you should know it.
- Make your passwords difficult to guess and complex. Don’t repeat them across accounts and don’t make them easy to guess.
- Avoid sharing identifying personal information on social media, including your date of birth, address and phone number.
- Let your bank and Canada Post know of any address changes.
- Keep an eye on your mailbox and empty it frequently. If you go on vacation, have a friend collect your mail or request that it be held at the post office.
- Sign up for account alerts with your bank, they’ll help you stay on top of your account.
- Beware of phishing scams, including phone calls, text messages and emails – never give out your account information.
- Get a free credit report from the major credit reporting agencies once a year and look out for any accounts you didn’t open.
How we keep your account safe.
At Capital One Canada, we do everything we can to keep your credit card safe from fraud, and we’re constantly updating our security and encryption.
We’ve got your back and if you’re a victim of fraud, we’ll work hard to help make it right. We provide Zero Liability protection which means that if your credit card is used without your authorization, you won’t be liable for those charges, provided certain conditions are met. See our Safe & Secure Online Guarantee for more details.
Here’s some of the features we offer customers to help them keep their accounts safe:
Protect – As a customer, you have access to our suite of fraud protection tools to minimize the chance of fraud occurring on your credit card account. You can use our customizable two-way fraud alerts to stay on top of what’s happening with your account.
Monitor – Your account is being watched over, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Customers can also monitor their credit score for free with Credit Keeper™ from Capital One†. Any significant, unexpected changes to your score could indicate fraudulent activity.
For more information on fraud protection, check out this video.
† Credit Keeper currently isn’t available to Capital One customers who live in the province of Quebec, or who have a Capital One Mastercard exclusively for Costco members.
Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.