Getting Your Card – Safely and Securely.
Got questions about how you get your card? We've answered some common ones below.
1. Why do I need to verify my identity?
To comply with Canadian federal regulations, Capital One® is required to verify each customer's identity before issuing their card. We're sorry for this inconvenience but this also helps us protect you against identity theft and credit card fraud.
If you're required to verify your identity, you'll get a letter asking you to visit a Canada Post outlet.
Canada Post is set up to verify your information. Once they've confirmed your identity, they'll record and send this information to us securely.
2. I received a notification asking me to verify my identity at a Canada Post outlet. What do I do next?
If you applied online, you'll receive notification directing you to a local Canada Post outlet in 8-10 business days following your application. Please remember to fill out any forms that are included with this notification (if applicable).
Please bring one of the original IDs noted below to Canada Post – they'll record your info and send it to us securely.
Once we've received your identification information, you'll receive your card via regular mail in 10-12 business days, so please keep an eye out for it. You'll receive your PIN in a separate package for security purposes.
Finally, don't forget to activate your card!
3. What do I need to take when I visit the post office?
Please be sure to bring the following to the post office with you:
- Any notice or letter received – please fill out any forms that have been included
- One (1) of the following pieces of original ID:
- Driver's Licence (Canadian)
- Passport – Canadian
- Passport – Foreign
- Canadian Citizenship card
- Certificate of Indian Status card
- Permanent Resident card
- Canadian Forces Identity card
- Firearms Possession and Acquisition Licence
- Provincial/Territorial Identification card
- Health Card with photo (Quebec only)
Note: Only these forms of identification will be accepted.
Please remember to visit your Canada Post outlet as soon as possible. If it's been more than 15 days since you received the notification, please contact Capital One and we'll re-send it to you.
How do I contact Canada Post?
If you have questions about your notification, or the location of your nearest Canada Post outlet, you can call Canada Post directly at 1-866-607-6301.
What are the timelines?
- You'll get a notification within 8-10 business days of applying for a new card.
- You'll need to go to Canada Post within 15 business days of receiving the notification.
- After validating your identity at Canada Post, you'll get your new card in 10-12 business days.
If you have more questions, please call
Capital One at 1-800-481-3239 – we're available 24/7.