Right for you if:
- Your Credit Needs Improvement
- You've had credit troubles in the past – even bankruptcy
ANNUAL INTEREST RATE
- Balance Transfer
- Cash Advance
RATINGS & REVIEWS
Establish or repair your credit with a Guaranteed MasterCard from Capital One®.
- Guaranteed credit card approval, even if you’ve had credit problems in the past
- The opportunity to establish or repair your credit
- Based on your credit history, we may offer you a Secured card which requires security funds (between $75 and $300) – what are security funds?
- MasterCard benefits, including Zero Liability
- 24/7 customer service
We’ll approve you for a Gold or Secured card, based on your credit history. Either way, you’ll get the same rate and chance to improve your credit.
If you’re approved for a Gold MasterCard that means:
- Your card comes with Gold MasterCard benefits You don't need to provide security funds
If you're approved for a Secured MasterCard that means:
- Your card comes with Standard MasterCard benefits You’ll need to provide security funds through your bank’s online banking site or by cheque/money order (between $75 and $300 – we’ll tell you the amount after you’ve applied)
- You’ll get the same rate and annual fee as the Gold card
- Your security funds are fully refunded if you ever decide to close your account and your balance is paid in full
Guaranteed Terms - To Qualify for Guaranteed Status, you must:
- Be at least the age of majority in your province or territory of residence;
- Not have an existing Capital One account, not have applied for a Capital One account within the last 45 days or had a Capital One account that was not in good standing;
- Provide security funds, if you’re approved for the Secured MasterCard. What are security funds?
It takes credit to build credit.
Using a credit card responsibly can help you improve your credit history. Here’s how:
- As you use your credit card and make monthly payments, we report your payment history to the credit bureaus every month
- A consistent and on-time payment history helps establish and repair your credit history
Just make sure you make at least your minimum monthly payment on time each month. This will keep your account in good standing and help strengthen your credit history.
Want to learn more about credit?
We’ve got a handy site filled with useful tips to help you stay on top of your credit. Visit www.understanding-credit.ca to learn more about what you can do to build a better credit history … starting today!
Both the Gold and Secured cards come with Standard MasterCard benefits:
MasterCard Global Service™
Provides emergency card replacement, emergency cash advance, 24/7 telephone access and referral to the closest ABM.
If your card is used without your authorization, you're protected with Zero Liability. That means you won't pay for any unauthorized purchases on your card.
24/7 Customer Service
We’re here for you 24/7. Customer service representatives are only a phone call away and are available to answer your questions around the clock.
If you’re approved for the Gold MasterCard, you’ll also get:
Everyday Gold Benefits
When you use your Capital One credit card to buy a new item in Canada that is advertised for sale at a lower price within 60 days of purchase, Price Protection refunds the price difference up to $100 per item and $500 per calendar year.
Most personal items purchased are automatically insured against theft, loss or damage anywhere in the world for 120 days from the date of purchase when the full cost of the item is charged to your Capital One credit card.
When you use your Capital One credit card to purchase most personal items (and the full cost of the item is charged to your card), Extended Warranty coverage automatically doubles the original manufacturer's warranty for up to two years.
Gold Travel Benefits
Travel Accident Insurance
Receive up to $250,000 automatic travel insurance coverage for you, your spouse and your dependent children when you charge the full cost of your common carrier tickets to your Capital One credit card.
Car Rental Collision/Loss Damage Waiver
Charge the full cost of your car rental to your Capital One card and decline the collision damage waiver insurance offered by the rental agency (you could save $20-$30 per day) and you'll be insured if your rental car is damaged or stolen when you rent the car for a period of up to 31 days.
If your checked baggage is delayed for more than four hours at your away-from-home destination, you, your spouse and your dependent children may be eligible for reimbursement of up to $100 per day for up to three days to purchase essential items. The full cost of your tickets must be charged to your Capital One credit card.
MasterAssist™ Travel Assistance
Provides 24/7 assistance for medical referrals, emergency cash transfers, lost documents and ticket replacements, lost luggage assistance and legal referrals when travelling outside your province of residence. Any costs incurred in connection with these services are charged to your Capital One credit card.
Download the Gold MasterCard Benefits Certificates of Insurance (4.10mb PDF)
Requires the latest version of Adobe Reader®
Travel Accident Insurance and Baggage Delay are underwritten by Chubb Insurance Company of Canada. Car Rental Collision/Loss Damage Waiver, Price Protection, Purchase Assurance and Extended Warranty are underwritten by American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida, an Assurant Solutions™ company. You'll receive the details of your coverage, including terms, conditions and limitations and exclusions in the Certificates of Insurance provided with your card.
This forum is designed for Capital One cardholders to rate their experiences with products and services offered by Capital One and its affiliated companies. Products or service requirements, price, and features can depend on cardholder choices as well as the applicable laws and the specific product or service contracts of the cardholder, which may vary by jurisdiction and the date on which they obtained their card. Capital One does not guarantee the accuracy of cardholder posts and no review represents the opinion of Capital One or financial advice. Reviews must comply with our Terms and Conditions.
MasterCard and the MasterCard Brand Mark are registered trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated.
In addition, we have a number of checkpoints to ensure your identity stays safe during the application process. If we're unable to confirm your identity during the application process, you'll need to go into a Canada Post outlet and provide further identification.